Saturday, February 28, 2015

FOMO: Fear of Missing Omnivorism?

“So you don’t eat meat?”
If I had a dime for every time I have been asked this very question, I would be a very rich woman indeed. As a 21st Century veggie-head/vegetarian/herbivore, I still find myself
having to answer the aforementioned inquiry. In an age of paleo~gluten-free~raw lifestyles, being a vegetarian continues to baffle people. In short, I don’t miss meat, and one of the main reasons for this is the vast array of recipe options for us plant-lovers out there! There are a wide variety of faux-animal protein options that have become mainstream mainstays at the local grocery store, and the perhaps *bland* flavor of these items is easily changeable with a little creativity when it comes to adding spices and sides to the dinner plate. So, for all of the skeptics who remain, here's a list of my favorite recipes that won’t break the bank (hello college lyfe), but satisfy the stomach nonetheless:

Breakfast:
 Chia Seed Oatmeal
(courtesy of Corina at Live Fit)   

(courtesy of Karen at Kitchen Treaty)

Lunch:
Tofu Steaks with Shiitake Mushrooms
Spelt Tabbouleh with Jalapeno Vinaigrette
(courtesy of Liz at The Lemon Bowl)

(courtesy of Kathy at Healthy Happy Life)

Dinner:
(courtesy of Brittany at I Love Vegan)

(courtesy of Robin at Cooking Light)

I hope these examples were able to squash some of the qualms you may have held in regards to a meatless mealtime. Not to say that being an omnivore is a bad thing, rather this piece is a means to relay how you can show your compassion towards animals and have a tasty meal at the same time. Protein is a very versatile nutrient, and can be found in many things, ranging from the well-known tofu, to the perhaps under-acknowledged spirulina, which – compared to beef’s only 22% makeup – is comprised of 65 to 71% protein. I hope you’ll give the above recipes a try, and if you do, leave a comment or photo of your creation in the comments below and let me know what you think!

Stay Healthy,

Olivia Post, Media Studies and Marketing '16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments and ideas are welcome!